Cutest Easter Bunny shirt! Love how she used a rosette flower for the tail.
FREE Carrot Patch Easter Printables on Craftaholics Anonymous #freeprintables #Easterprintables #freeEasterprintables
Easter Egg banner. Loving the rainbow easter eggs!
spring smile card
laundry-room1
22 Organizing and Storage Ideas for small craft rooms and spaces!

t-shirt pom poms TUTORIAL

Learn how to turn old t-shirts into pom poms! T-shirt Pom Poms are so much more durable than tissue paper ones. And I think they look loads better!

T-shirt Pom Poms

t-shirt pom poms

got an old tee or two {or 20!} that you don’t wear anymore? turn them into *pretty little pom poms!* they’re fun and easy to make and turn out oh-so-fluffy!

Supplies

• t-shirts, 1 per pom pom
  • scissors
  • cardboard
use round objects to trace circles onto cardboard to make 2 templates like those shown above. i used a roll of tape and my camera lens cap…. the diameter of the outer circle is 6.5″ and the diameter of the inner circle is 2.5″.  you can play around with different template sizes to get different sized pom poms.
cut your t-shirt into 1/2″ strips. i only used from the arm pits down on each shirt. .
take one strip and one template and place strips as shown close to the inner circle.
sandwich the strip by putting the other template on top.
take a fabric strip and place on cardboard with the end even with the outer edge.
wind around the template as shown. pull the strip tightly so that it stretches the material. when you get to the end of the strip….
take another strip and place the edge even with the outer circle like you did at the beginning. when you wind it around the first time, be sure to overlap the end of the previous strip so that it is held in place.
continue winding the strips around the template until you reach the other side.
do 2 more layers of strips {so that you have 3 total layers}
now take the sandwiched strip and pull tight and wrap around each other once. this will help hold things in place for the next step.
Warning: this next step is messy. trust me.
with one hand holding the strips in place, use scissors to cut the fabric strips along the template. i recommend sharp scissors, and preferably pointy ones. unlike mine.
after all the strips are cut, pull the string tight and tie into a knot. remove templates.
should look something like this.
now give your crazy ball a good hair cut! i cut two 4.5″ diameter circles out, then sandwiched the ball and cut around to make a nice round pom pom. remove circles, fluff and trim as needed.
{doesn’t it look like a yummy aqua ice cream sandwich….if only it were warmer outside…haha}

*added later: for more Tips and Tricks on making T-shirt Pom Poms, see this post.*

pom poms are so whimsical and fun! i made this fab v-day door decor with mine. i used a pair of left over t-shirt sleeves to create the simple bow. perfect!

i would love to see the t-shirt pom poms you make, so please drop me an email when you’re done! {pretty pretty pretty please!! with a red cherry on top ;o)

*added later: for tips and tricks on making T-shirt Pom Poms, see this post.

More ideas for using tee shirt pom poms:

Comments

April says:

I must be pom pom handicapped… I tried twice and was good up until it came to cutting. As soon as I grabbed the strings to pull it together, after cutting it completely came apart. I'm determined though… gonna dig up some more T's!

LDH says:

The pop poms turned out so cute! You did a fantastic job wit your tutorial too!

First time visiting your place ~ looking forward to perusing many of your past posts!

Kindly, Lorraine

Joan says:

good tutorial…except i tried it and it's way harder than it looks and my pom pom looks like crud. UGH.

Goodnight moon says:

lovelovelove this! I can't wait to make some myself. I've always just used tissue paper, but I love this idea! Thanks again for sharing!

chuy says:

If you cut the t-shirt in just one long strip and do a continous wrap, would it work the same?? or do you have to cut individual strips? just wandering cause i make yarn out of t-shirts and it would be awsome to try this pom pom's

CherishedHearts Vintage says:

I love this idea! After sorting clothes yesterday, I ended up with a big bag of old tshirts. We'll have fun playing with these.

Eva says:

This idea would be great for old sheets too!

Eva says:

This idea would be great for old sheets too!

Julie says:

What a great project. I just gave my first pom pom a try and you weren't kidding when you wrote that it's a mess when you cut. I didn't have a good grip and lost it but am determined to try again. Thanks for sharing!

Niki says:

I cannot tell you how much I love these!! I have been making the tissue paper ones…but these are awesome…and longer lasting!! Thanks!!

SoRaYa says:

lovely pom pom..thanks for sharing…

Judy McMullen says:

Awesome project! Love those pompoms!! Thanks for sharing!!!

MariaCareto says:

OMG

I'm soooo going to make these with those old neat-colourede plastic bags that I keep collecting

thanks for the tutorial

Pamala & Susan/ The Coup Group says:

What a great idea. I was wondering what my homemade Christmas gifts were going to be this year.
    Thanks,
    Susan

Em says:

Thanks for posting this. I love it!

Deanna says:

Can’t wait to make this for daughter’s dorm room!

tiffany says:

oh.my.word. love this.

Iris says:

AMAZING IDEA!! Thank you for sharing. Also, kudos for making such easy-to-follow instructions!

Deb says:

This turned out great! I am living out of the country right now and don’t have access to a ton of craft things…these will be for my son’s b-day! I will be sharing the link on the blog I’m using to journal our journey. THANKS!!
    Deb

Leonora says:

Hello, I´ve just discovered yor post and now I follow you. It´s very interesting. I made a post with this tutorial in my blog. Thank you for the idea. I invite you to visit my blog.

Maureen says:

I just made these! Your tutorial is amazing!!!!

Staci says:

I love these and I can already think of a few t-shirts I’d be willing to donate. Thanks for your visit!

Brytta says:

They make great toys for cats!

HilLesha says:

Adorable!

Ann Mary says:

This is out of this world gorgeous. Years before I saw this I did the same with plastic shopping bags. Mind you I didn’t use any template. I called them flowers. Sometimes I drive a dry twig through the center and place them in vases or pots. Way to go with your idea. It excites me.

Carly says:

Love it, you could make tiny little ones and sew them to a new, plain T-shirt!

quiltermom fifty says:

So cute – can’t wait to try making some!!

Sara says:

These totally rock! I’m thinking they would make perfectly poofy party decor. Linking up at Tangled Happy tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this fabulous tutorial. :)

Sara says:

Your very welcome. Thanks for popping by Tangled Happy. Did you see in the comments… Trisha suggested these for the end of the pews at a wedding. Cool idea! I love these t-shirt yarn pom poms.

bettercurly says:

definitely have to try this! thanks for sharing! very simple but creative idea :D

Kay G says:

What are some decorative ideas for these lovely pom poms.
    I want to make them, I just don’t know what I’d use them for.
    Older teens and myself at home.
    Any gift ideas for them.
    I’m stumped.

*smiles*
    KG

they would make cute gift toppers! or you could make a small one and put it on a necklace. hope that gets the creative juices flowing!
      happy crafting,
      PS someone on FB told me they make great cat toys….haha

Johnnie says:

I will never look at an old t shirt the same again. Beautifully creative!!

Ruth Kearney says:

These are brilliant! I was hoping to make them as throw cushions, but how big would I need to make my ‘c’ template??

Good question, Ruth! you would want rather large ones. Decide how big you want the throw pillows and then add 6-8″ to the diameter of your templates. That should work. Let me know how it goes! I’d love to see them!
      happy crafting,

HC says:

Oh my, they looks lovely!! This is really inspirational and fun! Thanks for sharing!

SALLY says:

This is such a great edition to my ever growing collection of ideas to recycle t.shirts!! along with the bracelets, scarves, roses and shopping bags out of t.shirts I make THANK YOU !!!!!

Brytta says:

cats love ‘em!

Nichole says:

omg I have GOT to try this for Halloween. and prettied up for the door with a frame and bow – BRILLIANT !!

Grace says:

These are just what i was looking for! My daughter is turning one and she has two big brothers so we are going all out for her birthday and doing a princess theme. we don’t have alot of money to spend on it but i want it to be amazing and these will be great Decorations/Thank you gifts!
    Thanks so much for sharing! You’re totally saving my birthday budget :)

awesome! they’ll be PERFECT for your daughter’s b-day bash!! i’d love to see pics of your t-shirt pom poms.
      thanks for stopping by! i hope you’ll come back and visit soon :)
      happy crafting,
      linda

pinky says:

finally something to do with all the cute, not in a very “bad state” T-shirts, that i didn’t have the heart to throw.
    Thanx so much,,,hopefully i end up making one from this inspiration and keep you posted :)

Jenni says:

Love this! You have inspired me and I will definitely try this. Great tutorial too:)

EmilyG says:

I just tried this yesterday and it worked pretty well. The only thing that I would have done differently that wasn’t addressed in the tutorial is to let the fabric fold as you wrap it to get the curled effect. I kept my fabric flat and so it doesn’t look as nice.

Denise says:

Love that pom pom spidey. Super cute.

Tracy says:

I tried you pompoms, my kiddos were intrigued……
    Okay, what is mommy trying now, & when do we get to do it.
    I posted a photo of my first on my blog.

Loved your tutorial, clear and bright. I did not find it messy at all. At least not compared to the usual chaos around here.

awesome!!! what a cute pom pom! and I love that your kids helped too. i tried to leave a comment on your post, but my computer wouldn’t pull up the comment form. sorry!! i tried twice, but it must be that full moon tonight. ack! thanks for stopping by and leaving me a link, Tracy!
      happy crafting,
      linda

These are fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing!

Farah says:

Thats great idea Linda…I came here via pinterest and glad to find you… love your old T-shirt pom pom … going to be your newsest follower too
    Happy if you come to see me at
    with love from
    Farah

Fab idea! Love ur VDay Decor!!!

Amy Augeri says:

You make crafting so easy. I was wondering how you picked the t-shirt material. May need to save this one for January. Thanks for sharing.

crystal says:

I just made some & loved it! But extra sharp scissors are a must! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Elizabeth says:

I used your very informative tutoral for the T-shirt Pom Poms to make mini ornament ones for the tree. Thank you so much for the inspiration and great instructions…my Blog has a pic of them if your intrested. thanks again

These are too stinkin cute! I must find tshirts in pretty colors asap! I’m planning my 3 year olds bday party and this would be perfect for the decor.