Holiday Card template titled
DIY Watercolor Placecards
give-thanks-printable-4
washi tape turkey
deer-pillow3
fall table setting

Spoon Mirror TUTORIAL

Happy Monday, Crafters! Hope you had a nice weekend. I’ve been working on decorating my breakfast nook {yes, we’ve lived here for over a year and i still have TONS of bare walls!} I made this totally awesome Spoon Mirror for the little corner in  my kitchen and I am kind of in love with it!

Spoon Mirror

spoon mirror

The color, the texture, and the price is right….it cost me only a couple dollars to make! Love a cheap, easy craft! And most likely you have most of the supplies on hand to make this fun version of the starburst mirror!

When I told Davis I was making this spoon flower, he thought I was crazy. Men just have no vision when it comes to crafts! haha. So it was really fun showing him the final product. He really likes it. Which is saying a lot for a man who sees many crafts…..

How to Make a Spoon Wreath

how to make a spoon mirror

Supplies: cardboard, hot glue gun, 3″ round mirror, spray paint, scissor, 78-80 clear plastic spoons, small piece of ribbon

Skill Level: Beginner

Instructions:

1. Cut a 12″ circle from a cardboard box. diy spoon mirror
  2. Lay the 3″ circle mirror in the center of the cardboard circle and trace around it. Then remove mirror. sunburst mirror
  3. Use your scissors to score the plastic spoons at the base of the handle, then use your fingers to snap off. Don’t worry if the break isn’t straight or even. Just be careful not to break the concave portion when snapping off the handles. how to make a sunburst mirror
  4. Starting on the outside edge of the cardboard circle, hot glue the spoons around the perimeter so that the spoon over hangs slightly past the edge of the cardboard. Continue hot gluing the spoons on until you reach the inside circle. You’ll want the spoons to slightly overlap the circle you drew in the center.
  5. Spray paint the spoons making sure to cover any cardboard you may see peeking through the spoons. I did 2 coats of spray paint and got great coverage. *Tip: I used clear plastic spoons so that I wouldn’t have to worry aboutpainting the backs of the spoons.
  6. Once the paint has dried, hot glue the small mirror in the center of the spoon wreath. ribbon hanger
  7. Cut about a 4″ piece of ribbon, shape into a loop and hot glue to the back of the cardboard to use to hang it on the wall. *Tip: the spoon mirror is not heavy, so this works just fine to hold it on the wall.
spoon mirror
Seriously, such a fun craft! This is a great craft idea for Super Saturday or crafting groups because it is easy, low coast, and you can easily chat and have a blast making them! Oh, and they look fabulous when you’re done! :)
If you save and reuse your plastic spoons, this is a great way to retire some of the old ones!
spoon mirror tutorial. Costs only $3 dollars to make, turns out stunning!
This craft was inspired by Addicted 2Decorating.
Are you excited to see my Breakfast Nook all decorated? I’m really excited to show it off, so stay tuned!!
happy crafting,

Comments

Nikki Joy says:

That’s so clever! I love the colour you’ve used as well, just beautiful! =)
    Nikki Joy x

I love it! This turned out awesome. I pinned it for you on Pinterest.

I’ve seen lots of these-and yours turned out great too!

Rachelle says:

I saw this on pinterest a few months back. Love it!

Shona says:

That is so cute!! I LOVE that color too! Thanks for sharing!

Andrea Beshuk says:

Love this! What kind of spray paint did you use? It doesn’t look like high gloss… but I was just wondering..

Vicki says:

I love the color you used! My apartment walls are so bare, I may be doing this soon!

Jenn Raines says:

That is so cute!! I am going to make one for my daughters bedroom!!!!

Mindy says:

good idea with the clear ones!

Kris Donegan says:

This is fantastic!! I cant wait to make this with my daughter for her room! :)

Ingrid says:

I love this! And it looks easy enough for me to do:) Wondering–where do you find little mirrors like that?

katie says:

Great job Linda–I love how your mirror turned out!

Sarah M. says:

I love that!

Christine says:

Holy moly Linda!! What a great tutorial! Who would’ve thought some spoons would look like that?!

julie says:

That is so cool!!!!!!!! You can’t even tell those are spoons. Oh my gosh I can see different holidays going on with those spoons. Thanks for sharing, God bless.

Raphaele says:

What a great idea, the colour you picked for your spoons is adorable, and how clever to pick clear plastic spoons. I was wondering: do you think it would be ok to paint the spoons first and then glue them? I am asking because I am worried about the process of covering cardboard between the spoons with my clumsy fingers.

Hi Raphaele,
      Yes, you could very well paint the spoons first and then glue onto the cardboard! I just thought it would be easier to spray paint them when they were stuck down so they wouldn’t move. But I’m sure either way would work just fine! Thanks for stopping by!
      happy crafting,

charmian says:

Hello Linda,

Would you recommend using a bigger mirror, if so what size?

Thanks so much

I’ve seen something similar with a wall clock, but the mirror looks even better! love your choice of color as well!

Sue Richins says:

Linda,
    I just LOVE your new creation!!!! I love the color, texture, and how easy it looks to do! You are so creative!!!!!

Veronica says:

I am in LOVE with this idea! You are a clever clever girl!! Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay says:

What a great upcycle! I’ve featured your project today

Love it! Pinning this baby for sure…♥

Aimee says:

What color spray paint did you use?

Jenna says:

I just wanted to say that I spray painted mine after each layer of spoons and I think I got a bit better coverage. I think it would also be cool to make this with a gradiant affect on the peadals. I also glued rhinestones around the mirror to make it pop more. Im sorry for my bad spelling, Im only 11 years old! Anyway, I loved this, it was so easy!

Tahira says:

That is so cute!! I am going to make one!!!

Kristy Capps says:

One of my friends suggested also using forks for a spider mum look or a cute design using sporks

Nita Riway says:

WOW.. this is amazing.. and creative.. and beautiful..
    i think i will make it someday :)

Dorothy says:

Love it!! So cute!

Linda Hess says:

Love your darling mirror. You are so clever!

Alana says:

Hi Linda. Do you think that this project would hold up outside on a fence as a cute decoration?
    Alana

Hi Alana,
      Probably not since it uses cardboard. If you used wood or something more durable to adhere the spoons and mirror to, then it might work as outdoor decor. But with any rain or sprinklers, the cardboard would fall apart :( Thanks for stopping by!
      happy crafting,

Janet says:

Great idea love it. I made a sunburst mirror out of skewers and small craft mirrors and it turned out great. And like my husband who prefers to just buy it already done, feel in love with it. It lays over our head board… Happy crafting!!!

This is so cute!! And I’m guessing pretty cheap too, since you could get a big pack of spoons at the dollar store. Great tutorial, and very nice pics too!

alka says:

This is very beautiful piece of art. I loved it. Instructions are very beautifully given and easy to follow.

angelica says:

cool! i love this idea!

x,
    angie

Molly says:

Omg this is a great idea! I’m just wondering how many spoons does it take and what kind of spray paint to use. When I find out I am defiantly going to try to make this

Lisa says:

Linda, can you send the amazon link of the spray?
    When I sprayed on spoon it started washing off :(

Lisa

Hi Lisa, Use spray paint that is made for plastics. I used Rustoleum brand and worked fine :)

• CraftyGal says:

Linda, I love how this tutorial was posted two years ago and your still responding to this thread. Awesome. I’ve been debating for a while on doing this; however, after coming across your instructions and pictures, I am soo going to buy an enormous box of plastic spoons tomorrow to finally do this. Ahh, can’t wait! I’m going to make mine bigger!! Thanks soo much. Simply beautiful.

Lis says:

I love this. Very Creative!

Rebeca says:

Love this idea.

Linda says:

you could even paint it yellow and make it look like a sunflower

BBGrammy says:

Plastic spoons come in a multitude of colors. Why not use some that are already the color you want?

beginner says:

Is there any alternative for glue gun???

You could use liquid elmers glue, but it takes a lot longer to dry and you’d have to find a way to hold the spoons in place while they dried. Glue guns are only a few dollars at the craft store. I’d recommend buying one. You can use it in so many different projects!

Linda L Bennett-P says:

I love crafts crazy . I has a lot various crafts so far I use polymer clay jewerly , wrapped wire, beads pendant, scrapbook design other more. I will see you on October 1 th 6:30 pm at hobby lobby. Smile.

Love the spoon mirror idea. I have been looking for something to make for my daughter in law and my new granddaughter for Christmas. Instead of the mirror I m considering trying to find a round clear picture frame for the center and inside of it place a picture of my granddaughter. I am not sure if hat would be possible. And make it to where the photos are easy to change and update pictures as she grows. Yet trying to make it to where it is brightly colored to match any room colors that girls love as they grow. But one question, what if a spoon gets knocked off or broken. ? Lol then replacement is necessary and possibly having to change the colors all together. . Would a paint build up cause issue’s? Or I guess start over. It is a least easy enough to make it new. I just love this idea. Very unique as far as I have seen and fun idea.

Peggy says:

How would this look if you use colored spoons instead of painting clear ones?