Hi Craftaholic friends! It’s Brandy and today I’m sharing one of the easiest ways to change up your home decor on the cheap…. Pillow envelopes! Pillow envelopes are a snap to make. I’m sharing this easy tutorial on how to sew envelope pillow in less than 15 minutes. This is an easy way to completely transform an out-dated pillow. Make several in different colors to keep on hand for a quick room update! Spring is a perfect time to freshen up your home decor.
Have a Craft Question? Post it on our Facebook page and get Answers!
How to sew Envelope Pillow Cover Tutorial
- 1 pillow or pillow form
- Tape Measure
- Sewing Machine
1. Begin by measuring the width and length of your pillow. Add about a half inch to that measurement for seam allowances.
2. Cut out a square using that measurement. That will be your pillow front. (As a reference, my pillow was 17″x17″ so I cut out an 17.5″ square. All measurements in parenthesis will be the ones I am using. Adjust accordingly for your pillow form.)
3. Lay your front piece aside.
4. Cut another piece of fabric the same width as the front (17.5″) and add 4″ to that for the height. (17.5″x21.5″). THEN cut that piece in half. You will end up with 2 rectangles that are the width of your pillow (17.5″) and shorter in height (10.75″).
5. Fold over the center edges of your two back pieces 1/4″. Press. Fold one more time and stitch the hem.
6. Here they are laying on top of the front piece. Right sides together.
7. With right sides facing, lay the two back pieces on top of the front piece, matching outer edges. The two back pieces will overlap.
8. Pin and stitch all 4 side seams using a 3/8″ seam allowance. Clip corners and turn right side out.
Your pillow envelope is done! It really is as simple as that.
These are a great beginner sewing project. If you’d like another one, feel free to check out my 3 Step Pillowcases! They take about 10 minutes to make!
Looking for more awesome Pillow Tutorials? Check these out!
- How to Sew a simple Pillow Cover with a border
- Easy Anchor Pillow tutorial
- How to sew a Pom Pom Pillow