It is no secret that I am a huge fan of burlap for crafting – one of my favorite projects is this beautiful Beach Cottage Burlap Wreath! I’m always looking for ways to keep my burlap vibrant and colorful so I’m excited to share some tips today from fellow crafters on how to prevent your burlap from fading! Lee asked:
“Last month, I made a wreath that used some burlap and it has faded….Any ideas on how to prevent burlap from fading? Wasn’t sure if there was something to treat the burlap with before hanging it up that would prevent fading.”
How To Prevent Burlap from Fading
1. “Scotch Guard it.” – Diana C.
2. “Salt water also sets dyes so they won’t fade. Don’t know if spraying it will do the trick but practice on a scrap.” – Becky C.
3. “I make and sell burlap wreaths and have had the same problem. I have tried UV protective spray and the burlap still fades. I did an experiment where I took scraps of burlap and treated them with difference products. I found that white vinegar works the best. I fill up a spray bottle, lightly mist the wreath, let it dry, and reapply the vinegar several times. There will be a slight vinegar odor for a few days but it does go away. I also apply a coat of UV protective spray.” Marilee S.
4. “There is a commercial grade fade resistant spray you can buy and spray on your fabric to help prevent this.” – Mari M.
5. “Before using wash in the washing machine with a cup of vinegar, this sets in the color. Hope this helps.” – Chris P.
6. “Did you try washing the burlap before dying just like when you use paints on material? There is a sizing that needs to be washed out so paints will stay after washing. It could be in burlap too. After you dye it, use vinegar water or salt water to set the dye. Time consuming,water using solution but it works. Maybe you could just do all these steps on special darker dyed ones. Best wishes.” – Becky C.
7. “I have used Rit’s Dye to dye a wreath that had faded and it worked really well. I just put the dye in a spray bottle and lightly spray the wreath with the dye mixture. I did this several times letting the burlap dry in between applying the dye until I achieved the look I wanted.” – Marilee S.
What are your tips for keeping burlap from fading? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!