Ideas for Fall Preschool. Crafts, Activities, and snacks.
pineapple-sign-DIY
mixed-print-shorts3
Pillowcase Skirt Tutoral
deer-pillow3

How to Make Mason Jar Flower Frog Lids TUTORIAL

mason jar flower frogs tutorialHappy Tuesday to you! This is one of my favorite crafts ever! I made Frog Lids and turned a handful of my Mason Jars into gorgeous Flower Vases to use around our home this summer. I seriously LOVE them! I am so excited to put flowers from my new Camelia and Gerber Daisy plants in them.

These little DIY mason jar flower lids lids were super easy and cheap to make. AND the best part is, they make a lovely handmade Mother’s Day or wedding gift idea!

DIY flower frogs

You can never go wrong with Mason Jars, right?! I love finding these gems at thrift stores. I’ve collected some vintage ones that are just divine. So being able to use them as flower holders totally makes me happy.

Want to know how to tint your Mason Jars?

What is a Flower Frog Mason Jar Lid?

flower frog

Frog Lids help hold flowers in place so that you can arrange them how you want….and they’ll stay put! The little openings in the wire help the flowers to stand up and make your bouquets look fabulous. You can reuse these handy devices for many

Oh and did I mention, you can make these for super cheap?! If you have a jar ring, you can turn a mason jar ring into a flower lid for about 5 cents each. no joke.

{if you don’t have the rings, you can purchase them for about 75 cents to $1 each}

flower frogs

How to Make Mason Jar Flower Lids

flower lid tutorial

1. Turn your jars into flower vases! You can find Mason Jars at thrift stores, craft stores, grocery stores, and online. Try to get jars with the rings and if possible, the lids. {the lids aren’t necessary, but helpful} If your jars do not have rings, you’ll need to purchase them separately. They can usually be found in the canning section at your grocery store.
  2. Supplies needed: 1/2″ square Galvanized Hardware Cloth Mesh {I found this in the garden section by the fencing at my local hardware store for $10 for 10 feet or you can find it on Amazon}, jar rings, wire cutters, marker, super glue {I used E6000}, jar lids {optional}
  3. Place a jar lid on top of the Galvanized Mesh and with a marker, put dots on each wire around the lid. If you do not have a lid, you can use a jar ring, you’ll just need to trim it a little bit in the next step.flower lids
  4. Using your wire cutters, carefully snip each wire along each dot. It might be a good idea to use leather gloves when doing this to protect yourself from the sharp wire edges. {i found it worked best to almost cut off the dots on the wire. That gave almost a perfect fit inside the lid each time.}
  5. This is your wire “circle” for your jar lid. Check to make sure it fits inside the lid. If it does not, use your wire cutters and trim it down as needed.
  6. Place your wire circle inside your jar lid and run a line of super glue all the way around the ring on top of the wire. Allow to dry. {depending on your glue and climate, it can take several hours}

Mason Jar Flower Frog Lids

1. mason jar flower holder

So that’s how you make those nifty little lids for your mason jars! pretty sweet, huh? Told you they were easy! Just make sure you do not put them in the dishwasher. Hand wash only!

These are perfect for weddings, parties, gifts {Mother’s Day!!}, house warming, and just because. Pair the lids with a DIY Tinted Mason Jar and you have thoughtful gift!

Now who’s ready to grab every Mason Jar in sight and make flower lids??

happy crafting! linda

For more Craft Ideas, follow along on Pinterest

Comments

Super cute – thanks!

Eva Scott says:

I love these kinds of lids. Thanks!

This is so clever, Linda! Great idea!

What a great idea! Very creative.

chrissy says:

Thank you so much for the tip. I just bought these on line via one of the daily deal sites.

Shona says:

That’s awesome! I love those, but they can be pricey if you want to buy a bunch of them. Thanks for sharing!

These are amazing! I can’t wait to make my own!

Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

Mindy says:

Very neat! What a great way to display some flowers:)

Kari says:

This is wonderful! I saw them on sale on groopdeals sometime last week but I knew there had to be a way to make them somehow. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

Kari

Stefani says:

These are pretty neat. I had never heard of or seen these before. Thanks for the tutorial.

Suzie Hurst says:

Ah! This is amazing! The only thing I don’t have at home is the E6000. Guess I’ll be buying some today! =) Thanks for sharing!!

That is such a great idea!! Thank you!

Michelle Lubbers says:

I always pick up jars, all colors and sizes. I often use them for food storage, flowers excite me much more though! Great post.

Karla says:

Love this!! Such a great idea. I so need to try this! :)

Jessa says:

This is absolutely brilliant! I’ve been eyeing some vintage blue mason jars at the antiques store by my house. They even have a purple one! It’s pricey but may be worth it!! I’m totally doing it!

Kristin says:

Very nice, I had never heard of Mason jars until I read your blog!

That is a GREAT idea!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    I have a friend that has a mason jar lid with a hole in the center with a rubber thing around the hole, this is so you can enter a straw in the hole. Do you have an idea as to how to make those? Guess I’d have to go check out the hardware store for some rubbers to go in the hole of the lid.

Ooo! I love this! What a great little thing to keep in mind for Mother’s Day. Thanks!

Carri Wright says:

What a great idea, Thanks for the tutorial….

Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

Susan Jensen says:

I made one years ago but your turtorial is great Linda. So much easier then my messy one. You could make all sizes too. I am Thanks honey cakes

Sheri says:

Your ideas are so good!!! Thanks so much for sharing them.
    This is on my project list for the weekend!!
    Thanks again! Sheri

Emily says:

I love those kinds of lids but I had no idea they were called frog lids. Thanks for the creative idea!

kellie says:

What a terrific idea! I can’t wait to try this. Many Thanks for sharing :)

Wonderful idea! It’s perfect: practical, and cheap, AND a mason jar!

Lisa H. says:

That is so simple and so AWESOME! I have a bunch of Mason Jars, some vintage, some not, but I love using them for vases. I am definitely going to do this! Thank you!

Angela says:

This is so cool! I love this! :) Can’t wait to make a bunch for gifts!

I LOVED this DIY! I have been cutting my gorgeous roses, trying to arrange them to stay upright in my blue mason jar, to no avail, and this is perfect! I am going to make one right away! I pinned it on my board. I hope that was ok!

Thanks for the idea!!

Gwen says:

Makes perfect sense! How easy!!!

Susie Green says:

I’m going to try to make these for my kids’ teachers. I found some mason jars at the Goodwill store yesterday, so here’s hoping mine turn out as cute as yours!!

Cynthia Waage says:

I was told about this site from a friend. I have been looking for something like this for a long time.
    So glad to be able to make my own. Thank you.

Susan says:

Thank you for sharing your great ideas, I have been looking for blue mason jars and now I will be able to make them.

I really LOVE this idea! I wonder if you can adhere the same wire mesh to a regular vase?
    I am going to be trying this. Thanks for sharing. So glad I found you.

You are AWESOMEEEEEE! I have been looking everywhere for a frog lid vase, but duh — I can make my own! I have to decorate tables for a Mother/Daughter brunch and you have helped me tremendously! Yay! Thanks so much! Now, here is to hoping I can find the mesh!

Beth

elena says:

very thanks

elena says:

thanks

barbara macaskill says:

Awesome! I saw these for sale and thought they were expensive but this way I can definitely afford to make some! Thanks for the inspiration!

Julie Oba says:

Thank you for sharing your creative ideas on how to turn mason jars into frog lids and tinted glass jars. I am an ikebana (Japanese floral arranging) enthusiast and belong to different organizations that make center pieces for elderly mothers on Mother’s Day. The mason jar frog lids and tinted glass jars are ideas that can be put to great use.