halloween-monster-wreath-featured-image
Cute Halloween Craft for kids - Halloween Lacing.
Vintage Halloween Banner
Easy Spider frame. Halloween craft idea
pillow envelope tutorial

How to Make a Fabric Banner TUTORIAL

Happy Tuesday! I’m excited to show you how I sewed my fabric bunting for my Easter Mantel. These are super easy to make and great for all skill levels. Plus they’re stinkin’ adorable!pennant bunting

How to Sew a Bunting

Supplies:

• coordinating pattern fabric {Great use for your fabric scraps!}
  • 1/2″ white bias tape 108″ long {i made my own}
  • scissors/rotary cutter
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  1. I used 7 different fabrics. I think an odd number of fabrics makes a banner more interesting and pleasing to the eye. Its a good idea to press your fabric flat before you work with it.
  2. Cut your fabric into 6″x7″ pieces with the design going across the long way of the fabric.
  3. You’ll need 2- 6″x7″ pieces per pennant. I made 13 pennants for my banner.
  4. Fold one piece of fabric in half so that it measures 6″x3.5″
  5. Using a straight edge, cut across from one corner to the other, as shown.
  6. This turns your rectangles into triangles and each side of the triangle will measure approximately 7″. Cut all pennant pieces this way.
  7. Take 2 pieces of one fabric and plate right sides together. {if you’re a beginner sewer, you may want to pin together}
  8. Sew 2 sides of the traingle pennants together with 1/4″ seam, being sure to back stitch. {it doesn’t matter what 2 sides of the traingle you sew together since they all measure the same}
  9. Using your scissors, snip off the bottom corner of the pennant. Be sure not to cut the threads! This will give you a crisper corner when you turn it right side out in the next step.
  10. Turn it right side out and push the corner out with a dowel or the eraser end of a pencil. Snip off the tiny triangles created at the top when you turned it inside out, so that the triangle is a perfect triangle again. Press flat with an iron.
  11. Starting 5″ from the end of your bias tape, starting pinning the top {raw} edge of each pennant inside the crease in the bias tape and pin in place. Each pennant should be about 1/2″ apart from each other so that it leaves you 5″ of bias tape extra on the other side so you can tie the banner up.
  12. Sew across the edge of the bias tape to close it and secure each pennant flag in placeSo easy! Buntings are so fun to use for holidays, parties, and everyday decorating in kid and baby rooms. Think of all the different fabric combo’s you could do! Want to see my fabric bunting in action on my Easter Mantel?

happy crafting!

linda

Looking for more Fabric Banner ideas:

Comments

Lani Derrick says:

The fabric choices are great! So colorful!

Christy says:

I know this might be random, but which sewing machine do you have? And would you recommend it?

Cute! Blessings!

Ashley says:

I love the fabric! Where did you find it? I love the polka dots and I have been looking for a nice chevron print. :)

Thanks, Ashley! The pink and white polka dot is Moda Dottie that I found at TheRibbonRetreat.com and the chevron I got at either fabric.com or else thelittlefabricshop.com. I can’t remember! But I think its moda as well.
      Hope that helps!
      happy crafting,

jane says:

Thank you for sharing Linda. I love the way you pick the colour for banner.

kellie says:

Beautiful banner, many thanks for the tutorial :)

Susan Jensen says:

Linda this banner is so fun lookingespecially the prints. Looking forward to April ‘s Kit ????
    If your still doing it if not I understand. Hi to boys big guy & 2 little ones LUV

I’m totally dying to make one of these, you make it look so easy!

daneilia says:

Super cute doll!

Michelle says:

This banner is so bright and cheery. Love the fabrics you have chosen, thanks so much for the tutorial.

Thanks, that’s a little easier than cutting the triangles straight out like what I was doing :)

Kim Withers says:

THANK YOU for this wonderful tutorial! I made a red, white and blue themed banner and I absolutely love it! Found you on Pinterest. :)

Alicia says:

Hi!

I just wanted to tell you that I am using your tutorial as the inspiration on my pinterest challenge post this week. Thanks for sharing how to do this!

Alicia

Beckie says:

I am in aww of this banner! You could use it for so many different reason’s. It would be perfect for a nursery!.

Jamie says:

I just found your tutorial and it was so easy! I made a super cute Halloween bunting for my son’s preschool Halloween party. I tried making bunting once before but I’m so much happier with how it turned out this time with your help. Thanks!

Jenny says:

Just finished sewing a fabric banner for my one year old. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Tara says:

I’m not sure if I am doing it correctly. I fold the fabric in half to make a 6″ by 3.5″ rectangle and then cut it diagonally. I only get one triangle out of it; it seems like I am wasting a lot of fabric. Is that the correct way to cut it?

Yes, that is how you do it. If you want to waste less fabric, make a paper template of the triangle piece and then pin in place and cut it out. Its faster to do it with the way described in the tutorial, but if you don’t mind the extra pinning and time, then making a template out of paper is the way to go. Hope that helps!

1. [...] I set it on my Easter Mantel for a quick picture. {still loving my spring bunting!} [...]

2. fabrix.ro says:

[...] Ghirlanda pentru zambete :) [...]

3. [...] Easy Spring Banner on Craftaholics Anonymous®. [...]

4. [...] used my easy fabric pennant banner  {click here for the tutorial!} and Glitter Easter Eggs.  And you know how much I love to [...]