DIY Pineapple shirt tutorial
watermelon salsa
Travel Sandbox tutorial
pineapple-sign-DIY
mixed-print-shorts3
Pillowcase Skirt Tutoral

DIY Door Shelf TUTORIAL

{happy wednesday, crafters!} Hope your week is going wonderfully. Today I am showing off my corner shelf made from an old door. My corner door shelf is one of my all time favorite pieces of furniture!

Davis and I made this about 5 years ago when we bought our first home. {sweet memories} Originally, I painted the door shelf an off white with a brown wash over it. {you can see my original picture of the corner shelf here. my style has changed a lot since then….as has my photog skills lol} I recently gave my corner door shelf a makeover with a coat of turquoise spray paint…..

Door turned into a Corner Door Shelf

corner door shelf

Its right at home in my Sitting Room! I’m doing turquoise and lime green in there and I’m using my shelf made from a door as the focal point/statement piece…..And it kinda rocks at both jobs! I’m still debating whether I should do a dark wash over the turquoise or not. Not sure if it will go with the modern-vintage look I’m going for in the room.

***will post pics of my Sitting Room when its done!***

added later: you can see my entire front room here.

corner shelf made from a door

Of course I used milk glass to accessorize it! the lime green flowers in a bud vase totally pop. So lively and fun!

antique door knob

I changed out the door knob with a vintage replica….and its sort of the frosting on the cake.

Corner Door Shelf

how to make a corner shelf

Here is the before and after picture. Kinda crazy, huh? One of my all time fave projects!

How to make a Door Shelf

supplies: door, circular saw, screw driver, screws, 13-90 degree metal L brackets, sand paper, door knob.

1. First, we cut the door in half using a circular saw. {draw lines and measure twice!}
  2. Secure the two door pieces to be at a 90 degree angle using clamps and a helper. {i was the helper :)
  3. Screw in 5-90 degree metal brackets to the back to hold the 2 pieces together.
  4. Cut 4 shelves out of particle board to fit the measurements of your door. {note: we rounded the outer edge of the shelves, but you could leave them square.}
  5. Secure the shelves in place using 2-90 degree metal brackets under each one.
  6. Sand any rough edges with 200 grit sandpaper.
  7. Change the door knob, if desired. TIP: I recommend only putting one side of the door knob on so that the corner shelf can sit flush with the wall. Otherwise, you would have to leave room between the wall and shelf to allow for the knob.
  8. Paint and distress the door as desired. {I used 2 cans of turquoise spray paint for mine}

So that’s how we made my corner shelf. I love this piece! Its so cool and I still get loads of compliments on it. I think it would be cool to get different old doors and turn them into shelves like this. think of all the cool door designs! So many possibilities.

If you make a door shelf, I would love to see a picture!

More DIY Projects:

happy crafting, linda

Craftaholics Anonymous on Facebook

Comments

Sarah says:

I love this! I don’t have a corner I could put one of these in right now, but if I did I would so be making one of these! I love that you changed out the doorknob. It’s so cute!

This looks awesome! I love how it turned out.

love, love, LOVE this!! Nice work!
    kisses
    heather

What a wonderful idea! I have a couple of half doors that need a new purpose and this project might just be it.

Shahny says:

OMG!! I love this! So freakin creative!!

Lisa says:

This is great I love it what an ingenious idea and you take really great photos even the before photo is good I really struggle to get good pics.

Heidi says:

LLLOOOOVVVEEEE!!!!

Theresa says:

Seriously love the color you picked out. I love the doorknob. makes me wish I still had this purple vintage one I once owned. I love to re-purpose & this is great!

Lindsey says:

New House come Summer. This is on my list of eventual…can’t wait to do it…must find a way…projects. So creative.

Michelle says:

Love this! i have so many corners this could be cute in. What a great color choice too!

I love, love, love that doorknob. What a perfect finishing touch!

Impish DIY says:

I am definitely making this once I get a place of my own. I love it!

I *LOVE* this!
    I wish I had a corner to put one in!!
    And that door knob… GORGEOUS!
    GREAT job!

Joy says:

Question: If you put the two equally cut pieces together at a right angle, wouldn’t one side be shorter than the other by about an inch?

Hi Joy,
      No, we lined the edges of the 2 sides up and put the brackets. The sides do not overlap at all. They are held in place with L brackets in the back- 1 side of the L bracket is screwed into 1 half and the other side of the L bracket is screwed into the other half of the door. {that’s why its so important to cut the door in half very straight…} Does that make sense? Clear as mud??
      thanks,
      linda

Laurie says:

The door-shelf is adorable! Now I’m looking at a couple of old bi-fold doors that my son kicked out of his room, and wondering if they could serve just as well as a base for a similar shelf unit. I’d be able to skip the step of cutting the door in half, and just go forward from step 2. Cool! And another project on my to-do list – oops.

Kris says:

Just saw this on pinterest last night but didn’t realize it was yours ’til I saw this email link…..what an awesome project!

Debbi says:

This could totally be done with a bifold door, too, couldn’t it? I have several in my garage (I hate them as closet doors!) that could, I think, be converted. Will definitely be pinning this idea!

Oh my goodness, brilliant! I love this!

April says:

This is fabulous! I love corner shelves and what a way to repurpose a door. And I love the color.

Rebecca says:

I just found two old sidelights I am going to do this with… Thanks for the idea!!! Would you mind sharing the name and make of the color? Love it!!!

alexys says:

Let me just tell you that this is AMAZING! My Dad is a general contractor, so he has all the expensive tools I would need to make this. I am in the process of trying to redo my bedroom, and I am hesitant since I have limited wall space. My room in HUGE, however my house was built by my grandfather in the late 60′s early 70′s and the entire left side is 3 closets, the opposite is a picture window, the opposing walls are my door, and opposite that, my bed, make up table etc. This is such a great idea for my room since it only takes up a corner! Thank you soooooo soooo much!!! =]

Karen says:

What a wonderful idea! Have been wanting a corner shelf and came across this! Thank-you for sharing :)

Haley says:

doing this tmro!!! im excited!!

Jann Schott says:

Okay, looking at this beautiful project and wondering…instead of making the shelves yourself and rounding them, why not buy a round piece of wood from the do-it-yourself-box stores and cut it into quarters? I think that would save some time & frustration for someone like me who can’t even cut a perfect circle with scissors! ;-)

Mandy says:

Amazing! I can’t believe how amazingly cute, vintage & beachy all in one look! This has such a fun look! def making me a corner door!!

banu says:

This kind of diy s are my favorit, if I change my door, I would like to make a shelf like this :)
    I shared this lovely idea at my blog witf your link, thanks for sharing :)
    Love from Turkiye….

michele says:

I have four of these crystal doorknobs from my Meme and Pepe’s homestead that are precious to me, but because of mechanical difficulties I was unable to use them functionally. Super idea!

Dorothyl says:

I absolutely love this idea. I have seen very intriguing tables made out of different styles of doors, but this idea is most definitely unique~ Thank you for sharing~

Cassandra says:

This looks sooo good, you really did a great job! I have a question though, where did you get the shelves and how did you cut them? Also, where did you find an old door knob?
    Thank you for sharing!

Hi Cassandra,
      Thanks for stopping by! We cut the shelves out of particle board with a jig saw. I got the old door knob from another decoration I had. But you can find them at antique stores. Hope this helps!
      happy crafting,

Jenna says:

LOVE this! My dad is coming to town this summer & is going to help me make this for our new house!! Thank you for the inspiration!!

Whitney says:

I found this on Tumblr and had to click it! I love this idea, the perfect project for the corner next to my fireplace. Thanks for sharing!

sara says:

wonderfull idea

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know we featured you in our Favorite Find Fridays post over at Whimsically Homemade. We used one of your pictures. If that’s a problem let us know and we’ll remove it immediately. Thanks for your great inspiration!

Melanie says:

Oh my gosh! I love this. And I can picture two of them bracketed corner to corner, anchored to a large lazy-susan on the bottom to make a rotating free-standing four-sided shelf!

Elise says:

This is darling! I saw one on pinterest- probably your original- and told my hubby I wanted one for Christmas. I’m still waiting… But I LOVE the turquoise! Thanks for the step by step!

Lexi says:

So, I absolutely love your door corner shelf, but i have to know… is that a solid wood door? I want to make one but have no idea how you’d do it with a modern, hollow core door. So, will you share your secret???

Hi Lexi,
      Thanks for the note! the door on my corner shelf is actually a modern door and partially hollow BUT down the center of the door is a solid piece of wood that runs from top to bottom. I think most hallow doors have it. I can send you a picture of the back if you want. There’s not secret! :)
      happy crafting,

Sandy says:

What a great idea!
    I love your living room done and that pop of color on the corner door-amazing.

Alissa says:

I made your door! THANK YOU for the FANTASTIC inspiration!

Michael L says:

Was wondering if the door you used is a solid wood door or is it one of the newer hollow interior doors?

Barbara LaMotta says:

Adorable

Rachel says:

This is awesome! I saw this in the morning, and we had made it by nightfall. Already had an old door, though ours has just one panel (not two) so we had to cut down the middle of it…leaving a few holes along the way where the indentations line up. I think it adds character :)

Corrie says:

Love this so much! I am in the process of recreating this at my house. The only problem I’m having is finding a great door knob. Any advice? Everything is very expensive. Thanks!

malarie says:

did you have to secure the shelf to a base so it doesn’t fall over?

sherry says:

I can’t tell you how excited I was to see this project on pinterest! I have been looking for a corner cabinet or other project for my newly redone kitchen…And this work perfectly for the entry! I can’t wait to get started on this project….! Thanks SOOOO much for posting this!!!

Awesome!! I’m so glad you like it and are making one of your own! Its one of my fave pieces! I’d love to see a quick pic of yours when you’re done, if you have time :) Thanks for stopping by, Sherry!
      happy crafting,

vinida says:

The color you choose is really nice. It gives a bright, joy, yet charming feeling. The idea itself is also great. I might try this some day since I have a leftover wooden door in my storage.

Your tip to remove one side of the door knob is really important… I can’t imagine how I would feel if the painting is finish but the door cannot cling to the wall because of the knob.

Summers says:

For the shelves, you could also use a round wooden table top and cut it into quarters. I’m pretty sure Home Depot has round cuts.

Leah R. says:

This is awesome! Did you secure it to the wall with anything? Or is it just standing against it?

Jamie says:

Aha! A use for the crappy bifold closet doors I can’t wait to replace! Great idea!

Veronica says:

Adoorable! I’ve got to try this! Does the door stand on the floor? Did you mount it to the wall? Or add “feet”?

Hi Veronica,
      Thanks! Yes, it stands on the floor. I did not add any feet :) We did attach it to the wall with some nylon webbing because we have little kids and don’t want it to fall on them i they bumped it. It actually stands up just fine on its own as long as you attach the 2 piece together flush and even.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      happy crafting,

Christine says:

I’m going to make one of these for my antique booth….wish I could see the backside and get an idea for the bracket or clamps used. Great idea!

1. [...] ADDED LATER: I have updated the corner shelf with a fresh coat of paint. Check out its new look here… Just last week, the hubs, lil stinker, and I ventured over to one of my fav thrift stores, the “Love of Jesus”, and picked up this beauty for $7. Little pricey, maybe, but I think it has great potential! And I loved the design of it with the curved arm rests. Hopefully it turns out to be a cute chair for my lil stinker. This is what I just finished eating. mmmm. Made from scratch goodness. mmmm. Sorry, I don’t bake a lot, so when I do, I have to document it. :) [...]

2. [...] know how much I love to repurpose items….especially old windows and doors. They are just way too fun to play with and you can get them for cheap at the Habitat For [...]

3. [...] of curiosity yet?} so I didn’t want busy curtains. {ok, i’ll spill a little….my door shelf is in the other [...]

4. [...] LATER: I updated the corner shelf with a fresh coat of paint. Check out its new look here! Just last week, the hubs, lil stinker, and I ventured over to one of my fav thrift stores, the [...]

5. [...] RoomMy corner shelf plays a huge part in this room and was the inspiration for the color scheme. *please note, it is [...]

6. [...] 1. Door turned into a Corner Shelf [...]

7. [...] CraftaholicsAnonymous – Corner Door Shelf Tutorial [...]

8. [...] the door go to waste I could come up with something to do with it.  I came across this super easy, step by step DIY for a door corner shelf.  My Fiance helped me cut the door and I sanded down all the old paint.  I left my  shelves [...]